This is our go-to recipe these days. Even though I’m not a salad freak, I relish this one so much that I can have it every other day. In addition to being a great source of protein, fibre, iron, calcium & magnesium, it has a very nice flavor too. No wonder they call it a ‘Super Food’.
So here is what you’ll need:
- 1½ cups quinoa(raw)
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups cooked kidney beans
- 2 tbsp pine nuts(lightly toasted)
- 1 cup cooked corn
- ½ large onion finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped tomato (medium size)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 finely chopped green chile (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp of grated feta
- 5-6 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Wash quinoa in a large bowl thoroughly, rubbing grains, changing the water a couple of times and letting them settle, until the water runs clear. Drain the water and transfer the quinoa to a medium saucepan. Boil the quinoa in salted water for about 10-12 minutes; till it absorbs all the water. Remove from heat and let it sit for another 5-7 mins. Drain the remaining water if any, and transfer to a large bowl. Fluff it with fork to help it cool more quickly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by adding all the ingredients of the dressing in a small bowl and whisking it.
- To the bowl of quinoa, add the rest of the ingredients including coriander, feta and nuts. If you are using canned beans, drain its water completely before adding it to the mix. Finally pour the dressing over the salad mix and toss well. Serve at room temperature.
Hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do..:)