The moment I came across this recipe online, I was eager to try it out myself. Both, me and my husband are always on a lookout for recipes which are ‘healthy and tasty’ at the same time. I used to believe that healthy and tasty don’t go together, but the notion was completely transformed by this amazing blog-http://loveandlentils.com/. It is full of great cooking ideas that force you to believe that vegan cooking can be interesting too…:)
I modified the recipe slightly to my taste. For the steak and kale you can follow this link. For the mushroom gravy, here’s my own recipe which is slightly spicy (the way I like it).
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 2-3 dried red chiles
- 1 packet sliced white mushrooms (8 oz.)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- ½ cup chicken stock (Vegetarians can use vegetable stock instead)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan on low-medium heat. When warm, add the garlic and dried chiles and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, saute for a minute and then add mushrooms turning the heat to high.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour and milk and keep ready. Once the mushrooms start shrivelling and leaving water, turn the heat to medium again and add the cornflour mix and chicken stock.
- Once the mix starts to thicken, add the red wine vinegar, salt, pepper ( I put a lot of pepper) and coriander.
- Stir well for 2 minutes, turn off the heat and let it stand for a couple of minutes before serving.
Now, layer the cauliflower steak with kale and pour a generous amount of mushroom gravy over it. Pour yourself a glass of wine and savor the dish…:)