If you are a person who simply HATES going to the gym, then this article is just for you. I am one such lazy bum who loves to eat and the thought of working out makes me sick. So I soon realized, I’d have to make some changes to my diet inorder to stay healthy.
As you all know by now, that my husband is VERY health conscious (which is not a bad thing..:P), but because of him my eating habits have improved a lot and I am very picky about the stuff that we buy from the supermarket. I thought of sharing what I have learnt with you. Here are a few things to note when you go to a grocery store:
- ALWAYS check the food label. People generally look only at calories and fats but sometimes ignore the sodium content. Most packaged food have very high sodium content to make it last longer. High sodium is very harmful for our health and can cause weight gain as it aids the body in water retention in addition to causing other health problems in the long run.
- Not all fats are bad. For example avocado and peanut butter are food items with high fat content, but their high nutrient value makes them good for your body. So don’t cross out items from your food list without completely knowing their health benefits.
- Another important thing to be noted is low fat doesn’t necessarily imply that it is healthy for you. Food companies use this as a selling strategy. So most low fat food items have high sugar content (specially observe on low-fat yogurts and other similar items). Low fat content is mostly compensated with either sugar or chemicals. Next time you go to a grocery store compare the labels of the low fat and the regular ones.
Me being such a big foodie, I’ve made some easy changes to my diet without essentially sacrificing anything that I absolutely love to eat.
- Everything in small quantities is good for you. If there is a food item which you know is not that healthy for you like pizzas or burgers or pork sausages, have them in very small quantities. If you don’t have the willpower to stop yourself from having more, then make sure to have the next meal light like only greens or soup, which is what I do..;).
- Keep a tab on your eating out habits. I try to eat out only on weekends when I let go of myself and fulfil my cravings but I compensate by having salads or other low calorie food during the week.
- If you are hungry at work or in between meals, eat fruits, cottage cheese, yogurt, nuts or just have a cup of soy milk which will fill you up without adding unnecessary calories.
- Switch items in your diet for healthier alternatives while satisfying your cravings at the same time.
- Pick chicken sausages with no pork casing.
- Choose thin crust and better still whole wheat while picking up pizza bases.
- Pastas are usually high in gluten content, even the whole wheat ones have it. There are other alternatives which taste equally good like brown rice or other whole grain pastas.
So guys, these are small changes which can make a big difference in your overall health.
So Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy and above all enjoy being Lazy..;).